St. George, UT is home to 11 of the worlds 1,500 scorpion species. Of the 11 different species, the Arizona Bark Scorpion is the only species of scorpion that is deadly to humans. Their stings can be dangerous to children, to the elderly, and to anyone with a vulnerable immune system. People who are suffering from a respiratory ailment or any other serious illness are in the most danger, because that’s when scorpion stings can turn deadly.
These severe symptoms, although rare, can lead to seizures, respiratory failure, neurological failure, cardiac arrest, and death.
Stay calm. It’s natural to panic when you have been stung by a scorpion. Remaining calm helps to decrease your blood pressure and heart rate; this may already be rising due to the scorpion venom. Keeping your blood pressure and heart rate down limits the spread of the scorpion’s venom throughout the body.
Seek medical attention. If you are having any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s best head to the nearest emergency room. Medical specialists can immobilize the area affected by the scorpion’s venom, and keep it from spreading to other parts of the body. This will delay the absorption of the poison. Most hospitals have scorpion antivenoms, like Anascorp, that can save your life. These antivenoms can be pricey, but it’s better to be safe then sorry.
Wash the area of the sting. If you are not experiencing any severe symptoms, and you wish to treat the sting at home, wash the affected area with warm water and soap. Make sure you make a habit out of washing the wound until it heals.
Use an antiseptic. Applying an antiseptic can help reduce the odds of an infection. Rubbing alcohol, Bactine, hydrogen peroxide, or iodine are all suitable antiseptics you can use to disinfect the wound.
Apply an ice pack. After being stung by a scorpion, you will likely experience some pain and inflammation around the affected area. After you’re done washing, apply an ice pack or cold compress to help lessen these side effects.
After you have been stung, you should never handle the culprit that stung you. They are still very capable of stinging again, and may still have venom left to inject. There is a myth that if you slice open the wound it will help with blood-flow. Don’t do it. Doing so can actually lead to further infection. Do not try to attempt to suck out the venom from the bite. Doing so can cause ulcers in your mouth. Allowing someone else to do so can put their lives in danger as well.
It is uncommon for a person to die from a scorpion sting, but it is still wise to steer clear of any scorpion contact. If you have been stung by a scorpion, follow the above tips. If you do not want to be stung by a scorpion, contact a St. George pest control professional today.
56 North 500 East
St. George, UT 84770
Truly Nolen Pest Control
630 North 3050 East
St. George, UT 84790
3568 West 900 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84104